Secure entrances, air conditioning part of a $ 20 million deposit for Leslie schools

0


LESLIE, MI – A $ 20 million bond proposal would help Leslie Public Schools upgrade their facilities and add air conditioning to their buildings, beef up security and buy buses if voters approve in November.

The bond proposal, which is being voted on Nov. 2 in Ingham and Jackson counties, would impose a net increase of $ 3 million – or $ 3 on every $ 1,000 of taxable assessment – on taxpayers. For a home with a market value of $ 100,000, the increase would work out to about $ 150 per year or $ 12.50 per month.

If passed, the bond would help Leslie Public Schools construct new secure entrances to control visitor traffic, upgrade mechanical systems and add air conditioning to each of the buildings in the district.

After voters rejected a similar proposal by just 19 votes in August 2020, Superintendent Scott Powers said the fact remains that buildings in the district are in need of a facelift.

At Woodworth Elementary School, bond funds would be used to renovate some classrooms that have not been updated since they were built in the 1950s, Powers said.

“These are improvements to desks, flooring, cabinets, windows and fire extinguishing systems,” Power said.

The redesign of entrances and offices would allow administrators to restrict and control access during school hours, routing all visitors directly through the office, Powers said.

“You go through the first set of doors, and then you can enter the office, but you cannot enter the school building yet,” Powers said. “You’ll have to go through the office, which is a lot nicer. “

The bond would also help the district build a new secondary gymnasium at the high school, as well as purchase three school buses.

The new gymnasium would give the district more space to perform workouts in inclement weather while giving sports teams more options for training space, Powers said.

“When everyone is trying to jockey for that gym time, it pushes the workouts later and later,” said Powers. “So that extra space would allow people to have better gym time earlier, and not work out until the end of the night.”

If approved, 80% of bond funds are expected to be spent within three years, with the remaining 20% ​​over the next two years, until 2026.

Broken down by building, here’s a look at how the district intends to spend the $ 20 million bond funds:

Woodworth Elementary School ($ 4.16 million)

• Remodel the administrative office to accommodate a new secure entrance

• Remodel classrooms with new finishes, flooring, storage furniture

• Upgrade the mechanical system with new fans, adding air conditioning throughout the building

• Electrical system upgrades including LED lighting

• New building fire alarm system

• Buy new computers, laptops, projectors and other educational technologies

• Upgrade the technological infrastructure

Leslie Middle School ($ 5.69 million)

• Upgrade the mechanical system with new fans, adding air conditioning throughout the building

• Replace the roof of the gymnasium

• Electrical system upgrades including LED lighting

• Buy new computers, laptops, projectors and other educational technologies

• Upgrade the technological infrastructure

• New awning of the main entrance / redesign of the administration offices to include a new secure entrance

• New storage building

• Purchase of three new buses

Leslie High School $ 9.29 million

• New addition of secure entry to control visitor traffic

• New addition to the auxiliary gymnasium

• Renovate the cloakroom and the equipment storage room

• Upgrade of the mechanical system with new fans, adding air conditioning throughout the building • Upgrades to the electrical system, including LED lighting

• Buy new computers, laptops, projectors and other educational technologies

• Upgrade the technological infrastructure

• New shingled roof

READ MORE:

Sinking fund would refresh Columbia school district technology and rooftops

New $ 12 Million Pool Provides Jackson Public Schools with ‘World Class’ Facility for Teaching and Competition

Fire causing power outage pushes Lumen Christi to distance learning


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.