Office Administrator and Receptionist – Seven Days Jobs
Who we are
Shelburne Farms is a non-profit education organization whose mission is to inspire and cultivate learning for a sustainable future. We provide transformative learning experiences to help educators and students create a better world. Our home campus is a 1,400 acre working farm located on the traditional unceded lands – Ndakinna – of the Winooskik Band of Abenaki.
What we do
- Engage young people and people of all ages in learning experiences that inspire them to build just, diverse, resilient and caring communities.
- Steward our working lands and heritage buildings as we embody the values of place and community by caring for and sharing our natural, agricultural, cultural and human resources.
- Collaborate with educators and other local, national and international partners to advance education for sustainable development worldwide.
Commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion
Shelburne Farms recognizes that fairness, equity and access are at the heart of sustainability. We are committed to translating these values into action across the organization by improving equitable outcomes in our culture, programs and services. Shelburne Farms strives to create belonging experiences for everyone, including BIPOCs, LGBTQ+ communities, people with disabilities, and people of all economic backgrounds. We are passionate about creating and maintaining a diverse and welcoming working and learning environment for all program participants, guests and staff.
who are we looking for
Our role as Office Administrator and Receptionist is crucial to the smooth running of the farm offices, supporting staff onsite and remotely. No two days are the same, you’ll be the day-to-day frontrunner for our fast-paced and dynamic on-campus welcome center.
- You create a welcoming reception and office environment for staff and visitors.
- You provide excellent customer service and enjoy communicating with people by phone, email and in person.
- You thrive in a role that involves collaborating and supporting a wide range of administrative tasks while using your creativity to invent and implement new systems and processes.
what you will do
- Support an ongoing effort to create and maintain a diverse and welcoming working and learning environment for all program participants, guests and staff.
- Supervise a part-time receptionist, providing training and development opportunities.
- Assume primary responsibility for main office reception duties including: greeting office visitors upon arrival and establishing a positive and professional relationship with frequent visitors such as board members, residents and farm partners and neighbors, Route incoming calls accurately, Provide information about Shelburne Farms over the phone, email, or in person, Monitor internal farm radio conversations and respond as needed, Guard reception area and kitchen tidy, Supervise the shared kitchen space, including the continuous preparation of coffee, the storage of cups and cutlery, and the ordering and storage of kitchen essentials (i.e. coffee, cream , tea, etc.), Assist office staff with photocopiers and faxes and route incoming faxes, Monitor entire farm schedule for r Become familiar with farm programming and maintain Gmail inbox for email@example.com, Process outgoing mail and open, timestamp and distribute incoming mail, coordinate backup receiving support as needed/available
- Create and maintain systems and procedural documents to ensure that all aspects of reception function properly and become more efficient.
- Record and broadcast relevant information to all personnel who support phones and back up reception on farm programs and events as well as operational updates.
- Manage maintenance, inventory and orders for office supplies and equipment; Management of the respective contracts.
- Submit repair/work orders and schedule repairs for general office space and equipment, liaising with and accompanying vendors.
- Maintain reception phone menu and call group.
- Assist with meeting arrangements, travel arrangements and other administrative support for staff working on or off campus.
- Serve as a communication center in the event of an emergency or farm disruption.
- Supports entering program, event, and other relationship data into Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge.
- Support the Farm Records Management Project Manager with ad hoc archiving and organization of digital and paper documents.
- Lead the organization’s publications inventory management system.
- Manage the ordering and inventory of security supplies.
- Maintain Safety Data Sheets and Emergency Shutdown Workbooks.
- Support the Operations Analyst and Special Projects Manager and Human Resources Director in various administrative tasks, including supporting the management team.
- Acquire a cursory knowledge of internal IT resource systems to support troubleshooting for key administrative office staff as well as staff working remotely.
- Work closely with the IT Director to support the onboarding of new employees to their technology equipment, phones and computers.
Equivalent education/experience can replace all minimum qualifications, except where there are legal requirements, such as licensing/certification/registration.
- Ability to connect with people with diverse lived experiences while creating a sense of belonging for all.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, which lead to good relationships with peers and visitors.
- 1 year or more customer service experience.
- Experience in administrative support and/or reception of 2 years or more
- Intermediate computer skills and the ability and desire to learn new software quickly.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Zoom and Google Suite (Gmail, Google Calendar, Google meet, Google form, etc.).
- Takes initiative and is highly motivated, with the ability to motivate others.
- Willing to support a supervisee and be a contributing member of a team.
- Proven ability to organize, manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to be flexible; effectively and successfully adapt to change.
- Solution oriented with the ability to create and implement new systems and processes.
- The desire to learn more about farm computer systems to support basic troubleshooting.
- Respond to emergencies and inquiries quickly and efficiently.
Additional valued qualifications
- Advanced computer skills.
- Proficiency in digital communication, office management and workflow technologies such as Constant Contact and Survey Monkey.
Work environment and physical requirements
- Able to work in tight spaces in a busy open office environment.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire shift.
- Sort mail and check incoming and outgoing packages.
- Going up/down stairs.
- The office temperature can vary throughout the year.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Covid Safety: We recommend that all staff be fully vaccinated. We require all staff to share their Covid vaccination status. If you are not vaccinated, you must perform routine tests and wear a mask at all times.
- We offer medical coverage with a health reimbursement account, flexible spending account for medical and dependent care expenses, company-paid long-term disability, 401(k) with the option of correspondence with the company and paid leave to recharge. In addition, we offer a 30% discount on farm products.
Deadline to apply
Applications will be considered upon receipt until the position is filled.
To apply for this job, login/register on this website and click on the “POST FOR A JOB” button on this job posting.
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter can go in the message field or be included with your uploaded resume. All submissions will be acknowledged and are confidential.
In your motivation letter, please indicate:
- How did you hear about the position?
- Why are you interested in this position?
- How do your experiences, values and/or efforts demonstrate your commitment to the values of diversity, justice and equity?
Shelburne Farms is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and lived experiences are strongly encouraged to apply. The duties and responsibilities described here are not intended to be a complete and exhaustive list; additional duties may be assigned to this position from time to time, and the scope of the position may change based on operational requirements.
Comments are closed.